|We are accepting new recruits! If you'd like to be a part of our community, click on 'Apply to Kinship'!
Knights of the White Lady (KWL) is a kinship on the Landroval server for Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO). Our in-game address is 1 High Road, Highdore, Bree-Land. We are a group of mature (18+) individuals who enjoy being in a friendly and close-knit environment, a place where people of all backgrounds and sexual orientations (gay, straight, bi, transgender, gender neutral, etc.) can feel at home.
Knights of the White Lady is LOTRO's largest and best-organized LGBTQ-friendly kinship. We do not limit recruitment to LGBTQ people, but we do aggressively enforce an environment that is supportive of them. KWL does not emphasize any certain play style (such as role-playing, raiding, etc.), but is accepting of all play styles.
The kinship is named in honor of Eowyn, White Lady of Rohan.
We chose Eowyn as a role model because of the way she rode to battle pretending to be a man, and had to later "come out" as a woman before defeating the Witch-King of Angmar. KWL's founder thought her bravery to be analogous to how LGBTQ people often have to hide who they are for a time before accepting themselves and coming out to society. She was therefore considered to be appropriate as the inspiration for the kinship's name.
If you think you might like to join us, feel free to read through our Guild Information section. Our admissions article will guide you through the application process. We hope to see you soon!
"But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Eowyn I am, Eomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him."...the helm of her secrecy had fallen from her...Eowyn it was, and Dernhelm also.
Emote collection UI:
- You can now see all emotes available to the free people of Middle-earth in the Collections Panel. In the new emote tab you can preview emotes, learn how to earn them, and perform emotes directly from this panel.
- You can also drag emotes from this panel to your skill quickslots.
- New Quests have been added in Minas Tirith:
- A new public endgame space in the Cisterns is available.
- New quests can be found near the Stone Theatre (in the northern 1st Tier), inside the Houses of Lore, inside the Houses of Healing, at the Citadel, at the Training Ground, and near the Baths of Belecthor (in the 4th Tier).
- Stable travel options have been added in Minas Tirith.
- If you have already completed all of his adventures, George at Sandson's Farm might just have a new one waiting in the wings.
Instances and Currency:
- The barter costs for Anfalas Scrolls of Empowerment have been decreased.
- Sambrog is now a more challenging instance and the Mark and Medallion rewards for Sambrog have been increased.
- Dol Amroth Endgame Tokens:
- Dol Amroth currency reward boxes (Armoury Box, Great Hall Box, etc.) no longer grant tokens of other faction. Instead, they will only contain Silver Tokens of Dol Amroth and the token appropriate for that faction. For example, Great Hall boxes will only contain Silver Tokens and Great Hall Tokens.
- You may now exchange different Dol Amroth currencies for one another at a 2:1 ratio. The Pets barter vendor in the Court of the Fount is now the Pets and Currency Exchange vendor. He will trade 10 Dol Amroth tokens of any kind (except Gold) in exchange for a box that will let you select 5 Dol Amroth tokens of another type.
- Large and special furniture hooks now accept thin furniture.
- All tree housing decorations now slot into small exterior hooks with the exception of Shire Oak Tree.
- Gondorian candelabra lights when used.
- Birch Trees now correctly use fall colors.
- All MELEE mounted combat skills now do more damage (including melee auto-attack). Melee damage should be approximately doubled.
- Lore-master: Sign of Power: Command and Sign of Power: See All Ends now correctly apply Force of Will and Enfeeble simultaneously.
- Giant Eagle pets with the Sacrifice skill active should again properly revive their defeated masters.
- Minstrel: Soliloquy of Spirit no longer has idle time preventing other skills after executing.
- Hunter - Hail of Arrows trait should correctly reset the Rain of Arrows cooldown when Rain of Arrows crits when the Rain of Arrows skill is used immediately following the Focus skill at the start of combat
- Champion: Devastating, Brutal, and Ferocious Strikes have shorter action durations. These skills should feel less 'clunky'.
- Warden: Brink of Victory and Surety of Death can no longer be blocked, parried, or evaded, but can be resisted.
- Burglar: Targets marked by "Coup De Grâce" should properly cause you to enter stealth on defeat.
- Burglars now have a ranged mounted combat damage skill - The Red Dawn version of All in the Wrist is now a ranged skill
- You can now give your pets names with "-" in them.
- The Flirt emote now plays flirt sound for all races.
- The tooltip for crafted coffee items has been corrected to accurately reflect what has always been true - that the speed buff is out-of-combat run speed only.
- A black dye recipe has been added to the Scholar's Guild recipe vendor.
- The Westemnet crafting journal recipes available at the Minas Tirith Quartermaster and the Helmingas Quartermaster no longer require Helmingas reputation.
- Reputation gain has been added to Norcroft and Entwash Vale repeatable quests!
- Reputation has been added to Eastern Rohan Warbands!
- Removed the Mithril Travel option from III.2.6, since using it could remove you from the dungeon incorrectly.
- Billboards in 'Instance: A Restful Night' now echo properly to the chat log.
- The physics on the prisoners in the I.12.6 instance was making them appear outside their cells.
- Quest titles in Volume II Book 4 now properly contain their chapter prefixes.
- Langhar's animation was breaking during 'Instance: Hatred of Bear and Man,' but now it has been fixed.
- KINSHIPS: The Founder title will be properly granted to Kin Founders who have transferred shards along with their Kinships. If the Kin leader at time of transfer was not the Founder, but received the Founder title, they will lose it.
As the year begins, I'd like to talk about where we are as a kinship, changes that have occurred, and where we may be headed in the future. Concerns have been raised about the activity of the kinship, how many players log in regularly, how many events we plan, and whether we actively recruit. On that last point, we haven't been and I don't intend us to be a kinship that randomly advertises on chat channels. Part of what makes us special is that people FIND us, either through word of mouth or Internet searches. However, myself and the KWL Officers will happily reply to people looking for a kinship, point them to our website, and encourage them to apply if they think we'd be a good home for them. If any of YOU hear someone in World or local chat asking about recruiting kinships, please send them a /tell directing them to look at our website and ask any KWL Officer questions they may have.
As for the activity question: we can never really know WHY any given player does or doesn't log in to play, but I am aware that, although we are a large kinship on paper, there are rarely a large number of members in-game at any given point. For any of us longtime members, we know that kin activity in general isn't what it used to be. We've been very fortunate to have built up strong alliances with many other kinships over the years and have been involved with their events, but we ourselves have let our own kin events calendar become a bit sparse, and the blame for that can only be laid at our feet as the Council and ruling body of KWL. Of course we encourage, remind, and sometimes brow-beat members that everyone is able to create and schedule your own events, instance runs, and so on, but the Council has the lion's share of the responsibility to get things up on the Calendar to help draw more Knights into the game more often.
So, on that note, we are re-activating three old weekly events that used to be mainstays: Deed Night, Knight's Night and Freepy/Creepy Fridays. Deed Night will be Tuesdays and will be a time for players to group up and help each other complete exploration and/or slayer deeds. Knight's Night will be every Thursday night and will be a time for us to drop everything and help Knights in need, whether it be in completing a quest, running through a quick skirmish, crafting a needed item...of course we should be doing that any day of the week, but Knight's Night will be THE night of the week when it's encouraged to drop everything when someone asks for help. Freepy/Creepy Fridays will be the night to organize outings into the Ettenmoors or Osgiliath for some PvP action, either on the Freep or Creep side.
We'll also be getting more instance runs up on the Calendar, especially those that advance metadeeds (such as Eriador, Moria, Lothlorien, and Isengard), and Epic Battle runs will help players get Trait Points and equipment upgrades.
Finally, we'll also be running another round of Classes on Classes throughout 2016. These will be run by seasoned players and will help players become acquainted with the mechanics of each class, and will be targeted at newer players, those looking at starting a new alt, or merely the curious. I think it's past time to do this considering all of the changes that have been made to each class since the last time we did this.
Of course, time will tell what effect this will have, but we can only do what we can do. On a personal note, no matter how large or small this kinship becomes, it will never close down on my watch. KWL is a special place for all of us, and even if, for whatever reason, we were to dwindle down to just a handful, I would still keep us going if only to stay in touch with the friends I've made. BUT, we'll be doing our best to keep that from happening in the first place! I love everyone in KWL and want to do good by you.